Similarly to the anime and main series games, there is a special method in Pokemon GO to evolve Eevee into any desired evolution form, also called eevolution as a blending of Pokémon’s name and the word evolution. The trick is accomplished by giving Eevee a specific nickname before evolving it. Note that this could be used only once per each evolution so it is highly recommended that you thoroughly plan before doing so. This applies to all available eevolutions currently in the game – Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon and last but not least Umbreon.
Clicking on the evolve button without influencing Eevee will randomly produce either Vaporeon, Jolteon or Flareon. It costs 25 candy and it does not matter whether the naming trick has already been used or not.
There is, however, another method bound exclusively to Kanto region eevolutions. In order to get Espeon or Umbreon the trainer must walk at least 10 km with Eevee and earn 2 candies from it. These requirements are especially important when switching between buddies or during events related to shorter buddy distance.
Eevee must be set as a buddy before the evolution. After making sure all criteria are met, evolving during the day will get the trainer a Psychic type Espeon while Dark type Umbreon will make its appearance at night time in the Pokémon GO app. Since the day and night is determined by local time, the GPS signal is also required otherwise the evolution will be random.
None of the Pokémon that require a special item or task to evolve spawn in the wild, including both Espeon and Umbreon. The buddy system method can be used repeatedly making it the only reliable way to obtain them.
Eevee name tricks in Pokemon GO
Sakura or buddy trick during day
|Tamao or buddy trick at night time||2052||126||250||190|
- Standard evolution is randomly chosen between Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon only
- Naming trick can be used only once per each of final evolution
- Eevee named Rainer will evolve into Vaporeon
- Eevee named Sparky will evolve into Jolteon
- Eevee named Pyro will evolve into Flareon
- Eevee named Sakura will evolve into Espeon
- Eevee named Tamao will evolve into Umbreon
- Buddy system method can be used repeatedly
- Requirements for Espeon/Umbreon evolution through the buddy system
- Walk at least 10 km with Eevee and earn 2 candies
- Eevee set as a buddy
- Detactable GPS signal to determine day or night
- If all requirements are met, evolve during the day for Espeon and at night for Umbreon